My Chaos Cultists

My Chaos Cultists

Thursday 10 April 2014

Army List Option 1 - Chaos Marines in Rhinos

So here it is: the 1750 point list to see how my marines fare in Rhinos.

HQ-Warpsmith
      -Burning Brand of Skalathrax
      -Aura of Dark Glory

HQ-Daemon Prince of Nurgle
     -Wings
     -Power Armour
     -Black Mace

TROOPS-3 units of 5 Chaos Marines each
              -Close Combat Weapons
              -in Rhinos
              -with Dirge Casters

TROOPS-2 units of 10 Chaos Cultists each

HEAVY-5 Havocs
           -3 Auto cannons
           -1 Lascannon
           -Combi-bolter(asp. Champ)

HEAVY-Defiler

FAST-2 Heldrakes
        -Baleflamers

FAST-3 Chaos Spawn
        -mark of Nurgle

FORTIFICATION-Aegis Defence Line
                           -Icarus Lascannon

Now let me explain a bit here, this list plays "MSU" style (multiple small units). I have purposely kept my troops in small numbers. The theory is this, in the current Meta where shooting is so heavy, that by splitting them into multiple targets you get a few more rounds out of the suckers. By placing them in rhinos I'm hoping to get them at least into round two. If I get them into round two I will be happy. If they get to round three I will be laughing maniacally.

The Warpsmith will be in a rhino, and able to fire dual flamey overwatch if the rhino doesn't make it.

The Havocs will be in the Aegis Defence Line, the Icarus Lascannon being manned by the champion.

So out of the people I have showed this list to, 50% think its great and the other 50% don't. I have played a similar list before to good results, but what do you guys think? Feel free to comment below.

4 comments:

  1. A couple of points/questions.
    Why CC-weapons on the Marines? Why not Bolters and a Plasma for example? You're not going to want to charge anything with only five guys anyway right?
    Why Daemon of Nurgle on the Prince? Tzeentch is a bit more resilient where everything ignores cover, and Slow and Purposeful makes it so that you can't Sweep units in CC (so that super high I is wasted!). If you put the Burning Brand on the Prince instead I can see the point of making it Nurgle, as then you want to stay out of combat.
    Personally I really like Havoc Launchers on Rhinos, they're actually really nice. Those extra S5 shots that almost always hits can be really helpful.
    And another personal preference, I would never leave home without Obliterators. Havocs have always performed abysmal for me, while Oblits tend to always deliver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like CC options on marines. I like the assault. And yes, I was planning on rushing them into combat (hence the dirge casters).

      As for my daemon prince, he is my distractionary tactic. Usually I take two of them but I'm going to play out this list and see if I can get away with one.
      Good point with the havoc launchers. I didn't have the points.
      Havocs are one of my favourite units. I don't know if you noticed but I really love cheap units.

      Delete
  2. Have you considered bumping up your cheap 5 man units in points? adding aspiring champions with some ap 3 close combat weapons would help the effectiveness of the unit. I also think you can do well taking a comms relay with your aegis defense line instead of the lascannon. Better manipulation of your reserves means you see your beastly hell turkeys sooner. Havocs can also take special weapons instead of just heavy weapons as well right? How bout putting them in a rhino with plasma or melta and move em up forward with your marine troops?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was considering a comms relay and it was difficult to choose. I decided it was better to have anti-air because I don't have a lot that can deal with it.

    As for everything else, I have been thinking a lot about my list since the game on the weekend. I have swapped some things out and I will post it up today.

    Thanks for the ideas though.

    ReplyDelete